Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ultrarunners... ultra-bizzaro


Ultra-running is any sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 26.2188 miles. The most common distances are 50 and 100 miles, or 50 and 100 kilometers. There are, surprisingly, a lot of people who are 'into' this, most of whom are completely bonkers. I'm often asked what I think about during my hours on the road, how I prepare, and what to expect from a 50 mile run. I'm still learning, but here are some things I've learned the hard way...

* At the end of my first 50-mile run, I upchucked something that looked like bloody coffee grinds. I thought I'd inadvertently killed my organs and was going to die. As it turns out, it was a peptic ulcer! Lesson ... eat more on the run.

* Vaseline and Moleskin are your friends. Any inch of flesh that rubs for hours will be chafed, including unmentionable areas.

* Ultrarunners pop tabs like candy - glucose, salt, and caffeine tablets and of course, plenty of Advil or Tylenol.

* After 50 miles, your feet will swell like water balloons, so have your support crew bring an extra pair 1/2 size larger than you normally wear for a change out.

* The smallest grain of sand will eventually feel like a boulder in your socks.

* You will have to eat as well as drink regularly. Any food consumed will be associated with pain, nausea, and suffering... so don't eat anything you really enjoy.

* Coke, potato chips, PBJ's, ice cream and pizza are actually considered good run energy food. You're not going to finish "powered by salad greens".
* Ultrarunners are not motivated to run so much for weight loss... we run for the sake of running, nothing else.

* Toenails that turn black and fall off are a 'badge of honor'. Some ultra-runners have them permanently removed (an inconvenience?)

* You learn to lace your shoes at least 7 ways to avoid 'hot spots', tongue migration, and to accomodate swelling. I spend more time adjusting my laces than I do styling my hair.

* If you don't have a pacing/support crew, you're as good as a fish on a bike.
* Killer distance runs on consecutive days are necessary to train your body to run through pain.

* It helps to have a pen and paper handy; I get my best inspiration during my long runs. After hours of running, I'm so exhausted that forget almost every brilliant idea I had.

* My OCD-related compulsion to count actually comes in handy. I count cars, people, break down music rythyms and lyrics into multiples of six, and even count my steps.

... 100 miles = 528,000 steps

Happy trails, Cher

2 comments:

  1. That was some pretty awesome and interesting information! Funny how you do this counting thing -- I continually spell a word (any word, something always comes to me) to a rhythm in my own head over and over and over...

    Why? I have no idea, but I always find it hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking to get involved in this discipline and sport. I loved the honest insight and attention to details. Thank you for sharing - I will look for the humor in the midst of the pain.

    ReplyDelete