Monday, August 17, 2009

First 70-miler...


On Sunday, August 9th, I completed my first 70-mile run. I started the run at 12:30 p.m. and ended at 11:30 p.m. I was only intending to go 50 miles, but I felt relatively good and with nothing pressing on the day's agenda, I went for it.

Well, I can tell you there is a huge difference between 50 and 70-miles. By mile 60, I felt drunk from the accumulation of lactic acid in my body and probably lack of glucose to my brain. My motor and cognitive reaction times were significantly slower, and I was more than a little concerned about driving the 15 miles from Monterey to my home in Carmel after the run.

At mile 65, I began to see Christmas trees in the road, likely an artifact of car tail lights, slow-motion vision, and lactic acid intoxication. But as one friend reminded me, at least the mirage was something familiar and friendly and not menancing like say...terradactyls!

When I finally made it back to the car, I felt dizzy, light-headed, and sick to my stomach and had the now all-too familiar acidic, sweet reflux of a peptic ulcer. I braced myself for the worst, but fortunately, nothing happened.

Despite eating along the run, I was so hungry that I proceeded directly to the first (and only, at that hour) source of food - McDonalds. Disclaimer: I do NOT eat fast food and was probably a teenager last time I frequented McDonalds. I ordered a medium fries, and had about 10 before heaving all of it up, as if I needed a reason to avoid McDonalds for another 25 years!

When I arrived home, I was too exhausted to even shower. Fortunately, I sleep alone and even my cat was disgusted. I fell asleep in a nanosecond. Surprisingly, with the exception of a (still) very upset stomach and urge to nap every 4 hours, I felt fine the next day. Very little leg pain, no blisters, or blackened toenails.

I think back and it wasn't that bad, overall. "The Wall" came at mile 60. After that, I literally checked my brain out and just went on autopilot, like sleepwalking. At the end point, I would still have the equivalent of a 50K run left for the "real" run. Can I do it? You bet! I ran this alone, with no support crew. Were they present, I likely would've finished in a much better state.

August 27, 2009: 100-miles... BRING IT!

Happy running.

Cher

3 comments:

  1. Wow Cher! I never had a doubt in my mind that you wouldn't be able to do all this. Although some of the side affects sound scary. I'll be cheering for you and throwing some cash your way helping to fight invasive plants! Wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be in your support crew, but got sidetracked by an invitation to stay overnight on Santa Cruz Island. I'll support you in spirit though. Go Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete